Saturday 28 December 2013

Hopman Cup: Preview and Predictions (Day 1 - Night)

Australia [6] v. Canada [4]

Samantha Stosur [Australia] versus Eugenie Bouchard [Canada]

With Seppi ill, group A will open up even more - these two teams have a great opportunity to make the final. Both teams are very solid and this tie is hard to predict, either way I think it will go down to the wire. We all know Stosur freezes when playing in Australia, but with the relaxed Hopman Cup atmosphere, the Aussie should be cool as ice. The match will be close (like their tight match in Osaka that Stosur won). My heart says Stosur - it could go either way.

My winner: Stosur in three.

Bernard Tomic [Australia] versus Milos Raonic [Canada]

Tomic is the complete opposite to Stosur, he thrives in front of the home crowd. The Gold Coast native just lacks drive, he lacks passion... will that ever change? The question probably won't be answered this Summer, but I think this will be a close match. Raonic will be looking to make a big move in to the top ten in 2014 and his serve will be the difference here.

My winner: Raonic in three.

Stosur/Tomic [Australia] versus Bouchard/Raonic [Canada]

Stosur is the best credentialed player in this match - it's just the combination with Tomic that worries me... will they gel? Probably not. I can't imagine two Aussie's with less ability to have chemistry than these two. Again, Raonic's serve will be tough to handle, for Stosur and Tomic - I'm looking for Raonic to dominate the match. If Eugenie can go with him, they'll be the winners. I expect the Australian's to fight hard in front of their home crowd.

My winner: Canada in three.

Canada look the goods here - but this group is so open, anything could happen with Janowicz and now Seppi out. Australia will get better as the competition goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment